The malaria mosquitos cannot live in an altitude of 1500 meters and above. So a national park as Ngorongoro e.g. which is in an altitude of 2000 meters and above, there are no mosquitos. Mainly you do not have to worry about malaria when on safari, though it can be wise to bring repellent in case of other bugs that might bite.
Note: Please consult your doctor for assistance on the most suitable prophylactic medication to be.
It is also recommended to carry a copy of your doctor’s prescription in the event of any issues arising at customs.
Packing list for medical supplies
- Insect and mosquito repellent
- Antiseptic cream
- Malaria tablets (please advise your doctor)
- Painkillers (e.g. paracetamol and ibuprofen)
- Anti-diarrhea medicine (e.g. containing Loperamid)
- Anti-histamine tablets
- Motion sickness tablets
- Rehydration salts
- Sun block and after sun lotion
- Prescribed medicine (must be packed in your back pack)